Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

You can tell from the title what this post will be about. I have been thinking a lot about what to do today with the kids. Many people think that this is just another day "off from school or work", just another vacation day to sleep in, but to me it isn't. I want my kids, all 4 of my kids to hear and read what has been done for them so that they can each have equal opportunities in this world. I want them to understand what those that have "gone before them" and have done and sacrificed to make things easier for them. We explained to them that it wasn't "so long ago" that things were a lot different for people who were black and for those who supported them and were friends with them. We explained that there were times where we as a family would not be allowed to be together. There are things that our children do not understand because they do not see that behavior and have not been exposed to that, thank God (ie. different bathrooms, different water fountains, different schools), but racism stills exists. All three of my children, that are black have had things said to them because of the color of their skin, or where they are from and even Steven has had things said because of his siblings. But, we learn to deal with that without violence.Does it cross their minds, well they probably wouldn't be human if it didn't, but the reason we have taught them to handle it with no violence is violence + violence just equals more violence, and you can't change someone's mind or ignorance level with it. Now, we do teach our children to stick up for themselves and each other, and be VERY firm in their confidence when doing so.
I have heard recently of someone not letting their daughter date a boy because he was black and she was white. You know that has such a different meaning to me now that my own son is black. My heart breaks at the thought that in the future that another parent would not let their daughter date our son just because of the color of his skin. It breaks my heart because they would not even take the time to get to know him and all of his wonderful qualities, just because his skin is dark. To me, his skin is beautiful,and any girl would be lucky to have him one day as well as boys being lucky to date our daughters (very far off in the future:)). But my point is, this still happens and it is very sad. We teach our children to be proud of who they are and what they look like, because the Creator of All created them just how they are and He wanted them that way and so do I, He created them beautiful, in His image. There is no more beautiful site or feeling when those beautiful brown arms of my baby girl are wrapped around my neck and saying she loves me, or those dark hands of my "baby boy" are patting my back when he gives me a hug or a kiss, or I look at Rachel and her beautiful face. Are they defined by their color? No, but I teach them to be proud of themselves inside and out.
What I am happy about and SO grateful is that there were brave and couragious people who stood up and did what was right not only for themselves, but for future generations. Some risked their lives so that my kids can get the same treatment and education as any other child in this country. So that my kids can live in a country that gives everyone the same opportunities no matter what color or gender they are. But most of all to us, "they" did all of this so that we, and many others can be a family.

No comments: